Mark is an experienced intellectual property, media and IT lawyer, qualified in England and Wales.
He advises clients of all sizes, from sole traders to listed companies, in many different industries (including fashion, gaming, e-commerce, high street retail, pharmaceuticals, food and drink, virtual reality, computer games, traditional and online publishing, perfumery and homewares) on a wide variety of matters.
Mark’s legal experience includes:
- advising on worldwide trade mark, design and domain name filing, prosecution and management including acting for clients in opposition/cancellation proceedings and domain name disputes as well as conducting trade mark clearance;
- drafting and negotiating IT agreements, for example, software development, hosting and support agreements, SaaS T’s & C’s and end-user licences;
- drafting and negotiating agreements relating to intellectual property assignments, licences etc;
- conducting intellectual property due diligence;
- drafting and negotiating franchise agreements;
- advising on data protection compliance, preparing privacy policies etc;
- drafting and negotiating general commercial agreements including freelancer agreements, agency and distribution agreements, terms and conditions of sale/purchase etc; and
- drafting and negotiating media agreements for video production releases, sponsorship, actors’or composers’ agreements, location agreements etc.
Recent examples of how Mark has helped clients include:
- recovering several domain names in a complex case of cybersquatting;
- working with local associates to invalidate a Chinese trade mark filed in bad faith so that the client could register and freely use their trade mark in China;
- providing an opinion to an Australian client on the likelihood of successfully registering their trade mark in the UK;
- representing a client before the EU Intellectual Property Office in design invalidity proceedings and in the subsequent appeal;
- advising on the filing, prosecution and maintenance of a portfolio of 400+ domain/trade mark applications/registrations;
- representing a client before the EU Intellectual Property Office in trade mark revocation proceedings and in the subsequent appeal;
- advising a media start-up on various issues (for example, data protection, software development, video production, copyright ownership and licensing, trade mark filing strategy);
- representing a client before the UK Intellectual Property Office in trade mark invalidity proceedings;
- defending a client in a passing-off claim before the UK Intellectual Property Enterprise Court.
International Visual Communication Association Guide to Media Law
LLB (University of Sheffield & Radboud University Nijmegen)
LLM in International Business Law (University of Liverpool)
PgDip in Legal Practice (Liverpool John Moores University)
Mark enjoys reading, walking and skiing.